Monday, March 22, 2010

Antique vs Thrift

Let’s get one thing straight. There is a huge difference between antique shops and thrift stores. I used to think it was one in the same, but au contraire. The biggest difference being, I will not step foot into a thrift store while I can spend all day in an antique shop! About a mile down the road from my house sits an antique mall, yes, a MALL. Five thousand square feet of oldie-but-goody bits and pieces. As I write this, I am tempted to see what new old items they may have received since my visit last week. But I won’t. Mostly because there is a lady that works there who looks like my high school Spanish teacher. We usually look at each other with wondering eyes saying “I know you… but how do I know you?”. At least that is what I hope she is thinking not, “I know that girl, she used to talk all the time in my that class I could never control. Once I had to call her mom in hopes of curbing this issue”. After that phone call I’m sure I got in trouble as I denied all charges. But as far as my talking in class, that probably never subsided. Anyway, my favorite thing about this antique shop is the abundance of plates. I love china. By the time I’m forty I will be the proudest owner of mixed matched plates ever. As my cabinets overflow and my husband threatens to call the producers of the television show Hoarders if I don’t get rid of my obsession, I will still be proud.

In continuation of Friday’s post where I left you hanging all weekend to see what I could have possibly done with three candlestick holders, three plates and crazy glue. Well, I’m sure it didn’t take you too long to figure out what I was going to do with this combination. I painted a little bit of glue on top of the candlestick holder, flipped the plate face down on the table, attached the freshly glued holder to the middle of the plate and let it stand for one minute… and tada, a plate stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment